Friday, September 12, 2008

auf Wiedersehen! (that's goodbye in German for those of you who don't watch Project Runway)

We had a lovely visit with Helen this past weekend. She got here Saturday night and was able to stay until Tuesday evening. She left from here and was going straight to Germany. I'm not sure when we'll see her again :( Maybe Christmas? I know she won't be able to stay away from Owen for long. She arrived just in time to babysit while I went to see Hall & Oates in concert Saturday night. Let's just say it was less than stellar. I was actually quite disappointed in their performance. I was really looking forward to it and it was a total let down. They didn't play a lot of songs I knew (while I was there -- we skipped out early), but the part of their performance I did see seemed to lack energy. It just wasn't what I was expecting. But a warm, heartfelt thanks goes out to Joanna for getting us the tickets!!
Everyone came over for dinner at our house on Sunday and Helen made curry. It was soooo good and Patricia was nice enough to point out that my curry doesn't taste anything like Helen's. I'm not taking it personally..... I've only made it once, as opposed to once a week for years and years. I definitely need some practice, though, and I'm not giving up.
I finished reading The Innocent Man by John Grisham. It's a gripping true story about a man falsely imprisoned for a crime he didn't commit. I thought it was an excellent portrayal of the injustices that occur within our judicial system on a daily basis. But the whole life story of this man is tragic and its not just about his false imprisonment, but the horrible hand he was dealt in life. This is not a feel good story with a happy ending, but one I would recommend none the less.
My son has decided that he no longer likes to have his diaper changed. He's 18 months old and I thought, fine, we'll just have to start with the potty training. But, no, he is not fond of the potty I bought for him and he refuses to sit on a regular toilet. He does love to flush, but we can't spend all day flushing the toilet, can we? Suggestions, please!!?? He is kicking and screaming when I try to put him on his changing table and holding onto me for dear life. I've also tried the "time out" route (when he behaves like that), but he thinks it's funny and has since started putting himself in time-out periodically throughout the day.
Helen, we loved having you. We hope you guys are getting settled and we'll talk to you soon!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw Helen for about 2.2 seconds on our way to Hall and Oates this past weekend and it was so nice to see her. She is a lovely lady!! PS I LOVE PROJECT RUNWAY!!!

Shauna said...

Hi Bryn... k you made one cute little boy. But just wanted to say hi! I was excited to find your blog but I haven't got to sit and read through it all yet. You look so good!

Cool Dad said...

New Posting Please
Owen loves football. He especially likes to say "Go Seahawks"
His golf swing is coming along nicely, the only problem is that sometimes he swings backwards.