Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Bryn's Book Review


I just finished reading Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. I bought this book a while ago and started reading it once before but I just couldn't get into it. Not too long ago I needed a book to read so I picked it up to give it another try. This time I couldn't put it down. It tells the story of the Stephanides family and their move to America from Greece. The time frame of the story is fragmented. Parts take place in the present as well as the early 1930's and into the 70's. The story covers three generations of this Greek-American family and the narrator is the young granddaughter, Calliope. I can't go into great detail about the story without giving too much away, so I'll spare the specifics. In short, the book was worth reading and entertaining. As I said before, I couldn't put it down. But, it did begin to loose its luster towards the end. It's divided into four "books" and by the fourth book, I was beginning to feel disappointed. I thought there were some very important questions that remained unanswered, as well as some points that were hastily resolved. It was kind of long ... 530 pages, but it went by pretty fast. Overall, though, the book was incredibly imaginative and the subject matter was impressive. Also by Jeffrey Eugenides: The Virgin Suicides

5 comments:

Tahnie said...

What happened to the book club??? NO MAS?

Cool Dad said...

Since this is the comments section, I'd like to make a comment. Bryn's reading habits are really annoying, she's constantly reading in bed and not turning the light off. I CANT SLEEP. When I ask her about the book she's reading, she ignores me.....and then she punches me. Anyway, I think Bryn should dedicate her time to reading the following books: How to keep your husband happy & How to cook gourmet meals for your family on $4 dollars per day. Lastly and most importantly, she should read the book: How to read with the lights off. That's all for now

Anonymous said...

hi honey!! Glad you wanted to share the romantic details of our pillow talk!!

Anonymous said...

I agree with JJ. I think Bryn reads way to much. She is a reading snob. She won't even let me into her book club which is super upsetting. She should be rubbing JJ's feet instead of being facedown in a paperback book.

Anonymous said...

Hi Bryn,

I love your blog site! What an adorable little boy and I can't wait to meet Owen in July.

I find it amazing that you not only have made time to do the site but also read. I obviously did something wrong during the early kid years!

Happy mothering,
Kath